Outdoor Cup FAQ's
1. What Is The Registration Fee For Cups?
Registration fees for the three outdoor cups:
- National Championship Series (NCS): $300
- Presidents Cup: $275
- Turkey Hill Challenge Cup: $250
Referee fees are NOT included in the registration fee. Referee fees are split between opponents in accordance to the current referee fee schedule. Refer to specific cup competition rules.
Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer is responsible for all cup final referee fees.
2. What Is The Timeline For Cups?
The NCS State Cup (U12-U17) and Presidents Cup (U12-U18) will take place between March and May, with the finals being played on the weekend of May 18-19, 2019.
The Turkey Hill Challenge Cup will take place between March and June, with the finals on the weekend of June 1-2.
The NCS State Cup (U18-19) starts in May and concludes with the finals on the weekend of June 2.
*For more information on cup dates - click here.
3. Can Teams Use Secondary, Guest Or Club Pass Players In Cup Competition?
Use of secondary, guest and club pass players in cup competitions is strictly forbidden. The novelty of the cups is the fact that all rosters are 'pure.' All non-primary players should be removed from cup rosters and all lineups. Rosters can be printed from your Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer account.
There is one exception: NCS State Cup and Presidents Cup teams advancing to regionals may add club pass players to their regional rosters subject to the rules of the US Youth Soccer East Region Championships and East Region Presidents Cup.
4. Can Teams Use Non-US Youth Soccer/East Pa Youth Soccer Passes And/Or Rosters?
No, teams must use US Youth Soccer/Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer player passes, coaches passes and rosters. Use of non-US Youth Soccer/Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer passes and rosters is strictly forbidden. Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer is not affiliated with US Club Soccer, SAYSoccer, GotSoccer, etc.
5. When Is The 2019 Cup Roster Freeze?
The roster freeze for the NCS State Cup (U12-U17), Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup is Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM. The roster freeze for the NCS State Cup (U18-U19) is Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM.
6. Can Teams 'Play Up' In Cup Competition?
Under-13 to Under-18 teams may play up. Teams Under-12 and younger may not play up and must have at least nine (9) age group pure players on the original league-approved roster.
7. What Format Does Each Cup Follow?
- The NCS State Cup is a single elimination tournament. Age group champions will advance to the US Youth Soccer East Region Championships. Teams that elect not to participate in regionals or the US Youth Soccer National Championships are subject to a fine.
- The US Youth Soccer East Region Championships may select wildcard teams to participate. This is at the sole discretion of the East Region Committee. Wildcards have yet to be determined for 2019.
- The Presidents Cup is a world cup style tournament for all age groups. The competition includes a group stage followed by a knockout round to determine a champion. Games are played at home/away fields. An age group requires four (4) teams for competition to be offered. If less than four (4) teams enter, (1) combined age groups may be created at the discretion of the cup commissioner, (2) teams may enter a different cup competition, or (3) teams may have their registration fee returned. Age group champions and wild cards, if any, will advance to the East Region Presidents Cup. Teams that elect not to participate in regionals or US Youth Soccer Presidents Cup are subject to be fined.
- The Turkey Hill Challenge Cup is a world cup style tournament for all age groups. The competition includes a group stage followed by a knockout round to determine a champion. Games will be played at home/away fields. An age group requires four (4) teams for competition to be offered. If less than four (4) teams enter, (1) combined age groups may be created at the discretion of the cup commissioner, (2) teams may enter a different cup competition, or (3) teams may have their registration fee returned. There is no competition beyond the state-level. Teams are not guaranteed three games, but most teams will play at least three games.
8. What Days Will Cup Games Be Played On?
In the Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup, teams aged U14 and younger will typically be scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer to play Saturday cup games*. By mutual team consent, teams may agree to play on any day of the week prior to the scheduled cup match.
In the Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup, teams aged 15 and older will be typically scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer to play Sunday cup games. By mutual team consent, teams may agree to play on any day of the week prior to the scheduled cup match.
NCS State Cup teams are typically scheduled the same way--U14 and younger on Saturdays, U15 and older on Sundays. However, NCS State Cup teams are expected to play their games on (or before) the weekend they are scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer unless they get permission from the Cup Commissioner (Dave Ash) or Cup Competition Director (Cody Pearson) in writing a week in advance of their scheduled match stipulating that the teams agree to play their game on a non-weekend date. Any match not played before the next scheduled match may result in a double forfeit.
Home team determinations: In the NCS first round, the top team in the bracket and all seeded teams will play at home. In subsequent rounds, the home team is determined thusly:
If Team A played home in the previous game and Team B played away, Team A will be away.
If both teams played home/away, a coin flip will be conducted by the cup committee to determine home field.
Note: Weather-related scenarios or playoffs, etc., could alter the above.
*All cup finals will be scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer and may not follow the above. Please plan accordingly, as Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer cannot honor schedule requests for the finals. Playoff games may be scheduled on Saturday or Sunday.
9. How Many Players Can Play On Game Day?
U9 and U10 -- 12 players can play on game day.
U11 and U12 -- 16 players can play on game day.
U13 and older -- 18 players can play on game day.
Teams (U13-U19) may roster 22 players for the cup competition but only 18 are eligible to participate on game day. Only the 18 players eligible for the game are to appear on your lineup that you present to the referee and opponent. Players designated as 'not playing' cannot dress in their team uniform. They must dress in street clothes or a different colored jersey. The players designated as 'not playing' may sit with their team in the team area, bench or technical area. Once made ineligible from the lineup, a player may not participate in that game. However, ineligible players are still subject to the laws of the game and can receive yellow/red cards for indiscretions.
10. How Do Teams Handle Assigning/Paying Referees?
All referees are assigned through Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer's certified assignors.
After the match is submitted and confirmed in the SINC System, Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer will assign the referees to the match.
Each team will pay HALF of the total referee fees for each game except the cup finals. Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer pays all cup finals fees. Here are the referee fees: 2018-19 Referee Fees.
For all referee scenarios and referee payment information, reference the referee section of the cup rules (NCS | Presidents Cup | Challenge Cup)
11. How Will Seeding Be Determined?
The NCS State Cup will have 2 or 4 teams seeded based on the number of entrants. If there are 10 or fewer teams included in the draw, 2 teams will be seeded. If there are more than 10 teams included in the draw, then 4 teams will be seeded. Seeds will be determined based on previous cup results, results from US Youth Soccer sanctioned leagues, coaches poll, etc. The rest of the field is determined by a blind draw.
The Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup groups will be determined by a blind draw.
12. How Do Teams Report Scores?
The coach or team official of the WINNING TEAM (or in the case of a tie, the home team) inputs the score for the cup match by 7:00 PM the day of the game. You must be logged into your team account to input scores. If the game is a night game (after 5:00 PM), the deadline to report the score is 11:00 PM of the same day. If you report the score incorrectly or cannot fix an incorrect score, please reach out to Cup Director
13. When And Where Will The Cup Finals Take Place?
May 18, 2019 | NCS State Cup (U12-U17) | United Sports Training Center, 1426 Marshallton-Thorndale Rd. Downingtown, PA 19335
May 18, 2019 | Presidents Cup | United Sports Training Center, 1426 Marshallton-Thorndale Rd. Downingtown, PA 19335
June 1-2, 2019 | Turkey Hill Challenge Cup | PA Classics Park, 1461 Lancaster Rd. Manheim, PA 17545
June 2, 2019 | NCS State Cup (U18-U19) | PA Classics Park, 1461 Lancaster Rd. Manheim, PA 17545
14. How Do I Know If My Team Is Cup Eligible?
See the top section of the rules (NCS
| Presidents Cup
| Challenge Cup
) for information on eligibility. Eligibility rules apply to all three outdoor cup competitions.
15. Who Should I Contact With Questions Regarding Cups?
Contact Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Director of Competitions Cody Pearson with any questions related to the National Championship Series, Presidents Cup or Turkey Hill Challenge Cup.
Cody Pearson, Director of Competitions, email@example.com