Outdoor Cup FAQ's
1. What Is The Registration Fee For Cups?
Registration fees for the three outdoor cups:
- National Championship Series (NCS): $300
- Presidents Cup: $275
- Turkey Hill Challenge Cup: $250
The application fees do not include referee fees. Referee fees are split between opponents according to the current referee fee schedule (see No. 10). Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer will cover all referee fees for the finals.
2. What Is The Timeline For Cups?
The Presidents Cup and NCS State Cup (U12-U17) will take place between March and May, with the finals being played on the weekend of May 19-20. The Turkey Hill Challenge Cup will take place between March and June, with the finals on the weekend of June 2-3. The NCS State Cup (U18-U19) starts in May and concludes with the finals on June 4.
For all important cup dates, visit the Important Dates page under the Cups & Competitions section of our website.
3. Can Teams Use Secondary, Guest Or Club Pass Players In Cup Competition?
Use of secondary, guest and club pass players in cup competitions is strictly forbidden. The novelty of the cups is the fact that all rosters are 'pure.' All non-primary players should be removed from cup rosters and all lineups. Rosters can be printed from your Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer account.
There is one exception: NCS State Cup and Presidents Cup teams advancing to regionals may add club pass players to their regional rosters subject to the rules of the US Youth Soccer East Region Championships and East Region Presidents Cup.
4. Can Teams Use Non-US Youth Soccer/East Pa Youth Soccer Passes And/Or Rosters?
No, teams must use US Youth Soccer/Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer player passes, coaches passes and rosters. Use of non-US Youth Soccer/Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer passes and rosters is strictly forbidden. Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer is not affiliated with US Club Soccer, SAYSoccer, GotSoccer, etc.
5. When Is The 2018 Cup Roster Freeze?
The roster freeze for the NCS State Cup (U12-U17), Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup is Wednesday, March 14 at 4:00 PM. The roster freeze for the NCS State Cup (U18-U19) is Wednesday, May 2 at 4:00 PM.
6. Can Teams 'Play Up' In Cup Competition?
Under-13 to Under-18 teams may play up. Teams Under-12 and younger may not play up and must have at least nine (9) age group pure players on the original league-approved roster.
7. What Format Does Each Cup Follow?
- The NCS State Cup is a single elimination tournament. Age group champions and wild cards, if any, will advance to the US Youth Soccer East Region Championships. Teams that elect not to participate in regionals will be fined. Wild cards have yet to be determined for 2018.
- The Presidents Cup is a world cup style tournament for all age groups--i.e. there's a group stage followed by a knockout round to determine a champion. An age group requires four (4) teams for competition to be offered. If less than four (4) teams enter, combined age groups may be created at the discretion of the cup commissioner. Age group champions and wild cards, if any, will advance to the East Region Presidents Cup. Teams that elect not to participate in regionals will be fined.
- The Turkey Hill Challenge Cup is a world cup style tournament for all age groups--i.e. there's a group stage followed by a knockout round to determine a champion. Games will be played at home/away fields. An age group requires four (4) teams for competition to be offered. If less than four (4) teams enter, combined age groups may be created at the discretion of the cup commissioner. There is no competition beyond the state-level. Teams are not guaranteed three games, but most teams will play three games.
8. What Days Will Cup Games Be Played On?
In the Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup, teams aged U14 and younger will typically be scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer to play Saturday cup games*. By mutual team consent, teams may agree to play on any day of the week prior to the scheduled cup match.
In the Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup, teams aged 15 and older will be typically scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer to play Sunday cup games. By mutual team consent, teams may agree to play on any day of the week prior to the scheduled cup match.
NCS State Cup teams are typically scheduled the same way--U14 and younger on Saturdays, U15 and older on Sundays. However, NCS State Cup teams are expected to play their games on (or before) the weekend they are scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer unless they get permission from the Cup Commissioner (Dave Ash) or Cup Competition Director (Frank Olszewski) in writing a week in advance of their scheduled match stipulating that the teams agree to play their game on a non-weekend date. Any match not played before the next scheduled match may result in a double forfeit.
Home team determinations: In the NCS first round, the top team in the bracket and all seeded teams will play at home. In subsequent rounds, the home team is determined thusly:
If Team A played home in the previous game and Team B played away, Team A will be away.
If both teams played home/away, a coin flip will be conducted by the cup committee to determine home field.
Note: Weather-related scenarios or playoffs, etc., could alter the above.
*All cup finals will be scheduled by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer and may not follow the above. Please plan accordingly, as Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer cannot honor schedule requests for the finals. Playoff games may be scheduled on Saturday or Sunday.
9. How Many Players Can Play On Game Day?
Up to 18 players may play on game day. Teams must decide which 18 players will be eligible for the game. Only the 18 players eligible for the game are to appear on your lineup that you present to the referee and opponent. Players designated as 'not playing' cannot dress in their team uniform. They must dress in street clothes or a different colored jersey. The players designated as 'not playing' may sit with their team in the team area, bench or technical area. Once made ineligible from the lineup, a player may not participate in that game. However, ineligible players are still subject to the Laws of the Game and can receive yellow/red cards for indiscretions.
10. How Do Teams Handle Assigning/Paying Referees?
All referees are assigned through Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer's certified assignors. After you agree to your game time and field with your opponent, the home team schedules the 12:00 PM on the Tuesday leading up to that weekend's cup game. Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer assigns the referee for you.
Each team will pay HALF of the total referee fees for each game except the cup finals. Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer pays all cup finals fees. Here are the referee fees: 2017-18 Referee Fees.
If less than three referees are present at the game, teams only pay the fee for each official present and only for their assigned role in the game. If a referee not assigned to the game fills in for a missing official they are to be paid for the role that they fulfill for the game.
You only pay referees that show up to your game (three-man system). If one of the assistant referees does not show up, the teams keep that portion of the referee payment. If there are only two referees present from a three-man crew, the referees will officiate as a middle referee and an assistant referee. The middle referee may request a club AR to fill the three-man system. The club AR is not required to be paid. For all referee information, reference the referee section of the cup rules.
11. How Will Seeding Be Determined?
The Presidents Cup and Turkey Hill Challenge Cup groups will be determined by a blind draw. In the NCS State Cup, the top two or four teams will be seeded based on previous cup results, the number of entrants, (for U12's and U13's, current year results would be included) and coaches poll--if 10 or fewer teams are included in the draw, two teams will be seeded. If more than 10 teams are included in the draw, four teams will be seeded. The rest of the field is a blind draw.
12. How Do Teams Report Scores?
The coach or designee of the WINNING TEAM (or in the case of a tie, the home team) inputs the score for the cup match by 7:00 M the day of the game. You may have to be logged into your team account to input scores. If the game is a night game (after 5:00 PM), the deadline to report the score is 11:00 PM of the same day. If you report the score incorrectly or cannot fix an incorrect score, please reach out to Frank Olszewski at FOlszewski@epysa.org
13. Where Will The Cup Finals Take Place?
- NCS State Cup (U12-U17): United Sports Training Center, 1426 Marshallton-Thorndale Rd. Dowingtown, PA 19335
- Presidents Cup: United Sports Training Center, 1426 Marshallton-Thorndale Rd. Downingtown, PA 19335
- Turkey Hill Challenge Cup: PA Classics Soccer Park, 1461 Lancaster Rd. Manheim, PA 17545
- NCS State Cup (U18-U19): PA Classics Soccer Park, 1461 Lancaster Rd. Manheim, PA 17545
14. How Do I Know If My Team Is Cup Eligible?
See the top section of the rules
for information on eligibility. Eligibility rules apply to all three outdoor cup competitions.
15. How Do I Print My Lineup?
See the graphic below on how to print your lineup:
16. Where Can I Find More Information On The Cups?