What is the National Youth License?
The National Youth License is designed to provide club directors of coaching, youth coaches, physical education teachers and soccer administrators with the knowledge to successfully structure soccer environments for children aged 4-12.
The following will be explored throughout the course:
- The role of the coach as a facilitator
- The physical, mental and emotional needs and capabilities of players from 4-12
- Lessons from developmental psychology
- The art of teaching
Candidates are videotaped for analysis during live training sessions.
What is required to earn a National Youth License?
- In order to earn the National Youth License, candidates must:
- Attend all field and classroom sessions
- Submit Care and Prevention / Risk Management tests (group work)
- Make presentations on Team/Risk Management (group work)
- Complete a Practice Coaching session (1 to 3 practice opportunities per candidate). Candidates are videotaped during this session. The sessions are then reviewed each evening by the instructor and by fellow candidates.
- Complete a Candidate’s Philosophy of Coaching (take home)
- Complete a Practical Coaching Session (formal evaluation by the instructional staff)
- Complete a take home examination on Coaching Methods.
What should I expect from the course in terms of classroom or field participation?
Each day features classroom lecture and discussion sessions and field sessions. Candidates are strongly urged to physically prepare for the course. There are no physical tests, but participation is enjoyable and a valuable way to learn through experience.
Are there any prerequisites required for the National Youth License?
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age and hold a National "D" License, or have the approval of the State Director of Coaching. A copy of the candidates "D" License must accompany the application.
How much does the National Youth License cost?
The course tuition is $700. This fee does not include room and board for those traveling from outside of commuting range.
What is included in the course fee?
The course fee includes course administration, staff costs, materials, a 1-year membership to the U.S. Soccer CoachesNet, a 1-year membership to US Youth Soccer Coaches Connection, and a Coaching School T-shirt.
How many people can register for the course?
The maximum enrollment is 36 candidates.
How can I register for the National Youth License?
Interested candidates can register by completing and submitting the course registration form
and completing payment. A copy of the candidates "D" License and a recent photograph must accompany the application. Coaches without a "D" License must obtain a waiver from the state Director of Coaching. The course balance must be paid in full in order to consider the candidate registered for the course.
Is there anything I can do to prepare for the National Youth License?
National Youth License candidates are responsible for completing Required Reading
prior to attending the course. Candidates should also print out and complete the Laws of the Game Exam and bring it to the course.
What if I have questions regarding the National Youth License?
Potential candidates with inquiries should contact Gary Stephenson. He can be reached at 610-238-9966, or at email@example.com
For more information about the National Youth License from U.S. Soccer click here